There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Hello, thank you for sending your work to subTerrain Magazine.
subTerrain publishes original fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, essays, and commentary three times a year. Submissions must be previously unpublished material. (Note maximum number of submissions per issue in General Guidelines below.)
Please be advised that as of May 12, 2016 we are implementing a $3.00 submission fee per electronic submission. For poetry submissions, the $3.00 fee covers five poems (submitted together in one file); fiction and non-fiction submissions will be charged $3 per piece. (Entries to the Lush Triumphant Literary Awards, however, are still $27.50 per entry with no additional fee).
The following are some general guidelines (as always, we suggest READING an issue of the magazine to see what we're all about).
Submissions must be previously unpublished and be:
1. typed, double-spaced on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (no disks or e-mail submissions please)
2. Fiction: a maximum of 3,000 words. (Max. 3 stories per issue)
3. Poetry: we no longer accept unsolicited poetry submissions (unless specifically related to one of our theme issues). Poetry should be single-spaced with stanza breaks. (Max. 5 poems per issue)
4. Creative Non-Fiction: a maximum of 4,000 words. (Max. 2 articles per issue)
5. Commentary (social or otherwise): a maximum of 4000 words. (Max. 2 articles per issue)
6. Photography & Illustration: we only accept solicited art and photography. Please forward us a link to your work;
7. Please do not send submissions via email.
Payment rates for published submissions:
Poetry: $50 per poem
Prose: $50 per page
If you have any questions not answered in the Guidelines, you can contact us at: